I recently kidnapped a juicer from my dad’s house (just kidding, he gave me permission) to juice some carrots and I was surprised by how much carrot pulp was created out of such a small glass of juice! I didn’t want to waste the carrot shavings so I decided I would make a carrot cake out of them. This time, though, I wanted something a bit different than the generic carrot cakes out there. I was craving a deep rich flavor with a little more kick. After several experiments (there was a lot of carrot pulp), I arrived at what I think is the perfect blend of spice and sweetness. Instead of using solely cinnamon as most recipes call for, this recipes makes use of a blend of beautifully aromatic spices including nutmeg, clove, cardamom, and ginger. It’s the perfect springtime cake and your kitchen will thank you for the aroma.
Deliciously Spicy Carrot Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 eggs (room temperature)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups shredded carrot
1 1/4 cup of vegetable or canola oil
1. Preheat your oven to 350F and spray your cake pan with a non-stick spray. Set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl, measure out and sift your flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
3. In a larger mixing bowl, beat your dark brown sugar, eggs, and shortening until the batter is smooth and a beautiful caramel color.
4. Slowly add in your dry ingredient mixture while beating on low (or whisking).
5. Once the batter is smooth and free of lumps, add in your shredded carrots and mix well.
6. Pour the batter in your sprayed cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Let your cake cool on a rack and frost with a cream cheese frosting if you like or slice and serve with a cold glass of milk.
If you liked this post please follow us and share!