As you will come to see, the menu here is very much international. We both come from different cultural backgrounds and have experienced different parts of the world. And because we strive to eat healthy (mostly), homemade meals and a variety of colors, tastes, and textures, I end up experimenting in the kitchen to recreate our beloved childhood meals, vacation eats, and random cravings. I will never forget the first time I had Rodbetsallad while visiting my husband’s family in Sweden. I had eaten beets before but never like this and never on top of a hot dog. Seriously, you must try it (and let us know if you do). With a new sense of appreciation for this beautiful root, I decided this was the perfect way to get more beet in our diet. A few attempts later and my husband will agree that this is pretty darn close to the real thing.
Swedish Beetroot Salad (Rodbetssallad)
3 small-medium pickled or freshly boiled tender beets
1 small white onion
1//2 cup of Mayonnaise (Trader Joe’s Vegan Mayo works nicely too)
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the onion very finely and place in a mixing bowl along with mayo and mustard.
- On a cutting board, slice the beets into thin rounds and then shred the rounds into fine ribbons (see images below).
- Add the beets to the bowl and mix well, adding salt and pepper to taste. Make sure the beets are cool before you add to the mix as hot beets melt the mayo and alter the consistency of the salad.
- Transfer to a pretty serving bowl and chill for 1 hour or more in the refrigerator.
- Serve with Knäckebröd (Swedish crispbread) for a scrumptious afternoon snack or generously spoon over grilled hotdogs for sweet creamy deliciousness.
If you liked this post please follow us and share!
One thought on “Swedish Beetroot Salad (Rodbetssallad)”
Pingback: Watercolor Painting with Beetroot